Fine lines, wrinkles and other signs of aging are inevitable. The severity of these lines and wrinkles, and the age at which they develop can vary in degree. However, many factors, including genetics, skin type, and environmental factors can influence how wrinkles form as we age. For many, these changes can start quite early in life.
The amount of collagen that our skin produces each year decreases by approximately 1% each year after the age of 20. Intervention and treatment at any age not only helps us at the time of treatment, but also helps support healthy aging and slows the progression of lines and wrinkles over time.
Fine lines, wrinkles and other signs of aging fall into four subcategories:
Atrophic Crinkling Rhytids – fine parallel lines which are due to a loss in elasticity
Permanent Creases – crease lines that look like permanent cracks in the skin often seen on cheeks, the base of the neck and as smokers lines,
Dynamic Lines – formed from expression and movement often seen around the eyes as crows feet and ‘11’s’ which can end up becoming static, permanent wrinkles in the skin
Gravitational Folds – occur based on skin laxity and falling of tissues due to the effects of gravity over time.
Much can be done to improve smooth lines and eye wrinkles. At your cosmetic consultation at Kingsway Dermatology, we will be able to provide an accurate assessment of what we can do based on your budget, time frame and level of readiness.
When performed with experience, care, and expertise, our team will deliver beautiful and natural results with a safe approach that will have you feeling comfortable and confident.
Eye Wrinkle Treatment Options
One of the first areas to develop fine lines and wrinkles on our face is the area under and around the eyes. The culprit of under eye wrinkles is thin skin. The skin under the eyes is the thinnest and most delicate than on the entire body, measuring only 0.5mm in thickness. As with skin everywhere on the body, there is ongoing collagen loss and fat loss in this area that contributes to wrinkles and fine lines over time.
As collagen is depleted over time, the ability of our skin to hold water and retain hydration results in progressive dryness. With fewer collagen bundles in our skin to maintain the structure and integrity of the tissues, the area fills more easily with fluid, which can lead to puffiness around the eyes.
As well, chronic sun exposure can lead to a change called solar elastosis, After chronic sun exposure, collagen bundles can thicken and clump together, and elastin fibres break down. This leaves the skin looking dull, thin, and wrinkled. This can affect the area around the eyes, and eventually all our skin in sun exposed areas!
Schedule your skin consultation to have a proper assessment with one of our aesthetic patient consultants is best to determine what combination of eye wrinkle treatments will work best for your particular needs.
Eye Winkle Treatments at Kingsway Dermatology include:
- BOTOX® removes signs of wrinkles by giving your face a fresh, youthful look. BOTOX® injections are ideal as they are quick to administer and specifically target the areas where dynamic wrinkles form.
- As our skin ages, there is a natural loss of proteins, elastin, supportive fat tissue, and hyaluronic acid, a natural molecule that supports the structure of our tissues. Dermal fillers can be used to support and treat forehead and eye wrinkles and hollows, restore lost volume to hollowed cheeks, subtly sculpt and reshape your face and reduce the appearance of jowls.
- Micro-needling is designed to improve the appearance of various skin conditions such as light scarring from acne, enlarged or dilated pores, stretch marks and overall aging of the skin. The procedure is done with a micro-needling device that glides over the top of the skin. The controlled injury to the skin triggers the body’s natural healing response, resulting in the stimulation of new collagen and elastin fibres.
- Skin boosters using micro-droplets of a specialized non-cross-linked hyaluronic acid have been trending for some time with rave reviews. Known as the Beauty Booster this eye wrinkle treatment offers a thinner consistency of the hyaluronic acid for the person wanting to add hydration without adding volume to their skin.
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) treatments soften the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on your face, neck, and chest. It offers a natural solution to treating eye wrinkles and improving the texture of the skin on your face. This Health Canada approved therapy, dubbed the ‘Vampire Facelift,’ has shown improvements in the skin’s overall health and appearance by providing a slow release of much-needed growth factors and enzymes which stimulates collagen formation.
- Vital components of healthy skin diminish naturally over time. Fine lines form, skin thins and loosens, brown spots appear, a rough texture can develop, and pores can appear larger. Fractional laser treatments are often referred to as laser skin rejuvenation. This reduces signs of wrinkles and aging, giving your face an overall refreshed, more youthful look.
These treatments, and other eye wrinkle treatments can be used separately and in combination. Our team will help guide you and recommend the most effective plan to maximize the benefits to meet your specific goals.
Our Team of Dermatologists at Kingsway Dermatology
A Dermatologist is a medical physician specialist that in addition to a medical degree, has completed an additional five-year specialty program specific to the skin. Our team of Dermatologists at Kingsway Dermatology are certified both by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and the American Board of Dermatology.
It is estimated that over 50,000 conditions affect the skin, hair, and nails. Our Team of Dermatologists will assess, diagnose, and treat these conditions with medical or surgical modalities. These conditions are varied and can include medical and cosmetic issues ranging from skin cancers and many inflammatory disorders.
Amongst these 50,000 conditions, our team of Dermatologists at Kingsway Dermatology in Toronto are trained to treat:
- Overall Facial Rejuvenation
- Uneven Skin Tone
- Eye Enhancement
- Jowls | Jawline Contouring
- Volume Loss | Skin Laxity
- Lines & Wrinkles
- Lip Enhancements
- Neck & Chest
- Acne & Acne Scars
- Spider Veins | Broken Blood Vessels
- Pigmentation | Melasma
- Hair Loss
- Rosacea Treatment
- Brown Spots | Sun Damage
- Enlarged Pores & Texture
- Hand Rejuvenation
- Double Chin & Neck Fullness